Community Safety Icon 

Carbon Monoxide Safety 

 

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas produced when gas, oil, coal, wood or other carbon fuels don't burn properly. Because it has no smell, taste or colour it is hard to detect and you might be breathing it without realising it but it can be fatal or cause permanent damage to your health.

What causes carbon monoxide poisoning?

When fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood are burned in an enclosed room all the oxygen will be gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide which then prevents the fire burning as it should and it will then release poisonous carbon monoxide.

Look for these danger signs

Even though it has no smell, taste or colour there are warning signs that carbon monoxide may be in the air:

  • yellow or orange flames instead of the normal blue flames;
  • sooty stains on the walls around fires and water heaters;
  • sharing a wall or chimney with a neighbouring house where there is a carbon monoxide leak, even if your house does not have one.

Protect yourself with a carbon monoxide alarm

Find out more:

Causes of carbon monoxide poisoning
Symptoms of carbon monoxide Poisoning
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning
Find a qualified engineer
How to install a carbon monoxide alarm
What to do in an emergency?
More links and information