Community Safety Icon 

Cooking Safety 

 

These simple steps can prevent accidental cooking fires in your home:

Take extra care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking. Take pans off the heat or turn them down to prevent them overheating and catching fire;

Turn saucepan handles to prevent accidents. This will prevent you accidentally knocking them over and will keep them out of reach of children;

Take care if you are wearing loose clothing. Loose garments can easily catch fire;

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob. These items can also easily catch fire;

Take care when cooking with hot oil. It sets alight easily and can self-ignite if left for too long;

If oil starts to smoke - it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool;

Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They allow the oil to get hot enough to cook your food but not so that it will self-ignite;

If your pan of hot oil catches fire do not take any risks. Leave it where it is, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, then get out and ring 999;

NEVER THROW WATER ON BURNING OIL. It will go up in a fireball that will spread the fire and cause you serious injury;

Double check the cooker if off when you've finished cooking. Leaving the cooker on can cause residual oil, fat or grease to catch fire.

 

Kitchen Fire Safety Presentation

To view a copy of a presentation that our Community Safety team uses to promote safer cooking in the home click here.


 

Key Candle Safety Messages

Place candles in a heat-resistance holder or on a heat-resistant surface – be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic and burn wood;

Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets – children may play with them out of curiosity and pets can knock them over;

Keep candles away from curtains and other combustible materials such as paper, cardboard and fabric covered furniture which could catch fire if the flame of the candle accidentally came into contact with them;

Try to avoid moving candles once they are lit – this reduces the risk of accidentally dropping them or bring them into contact with combustible materials;

Only use candles in well ventilated rooms to avoid the risk of fumes building up; and

Make sure you snuff out the candle fully when you are finished with it.

More information is available at:
www.facebook.com/firekills