Community Safety 

Finding a Qualified Engineer 


For you and your families safety ensure that anyone installing, servicing or carrying out any other work on gas, oil or solid fuel burning (e.g. coal and wood) appliances in your home must be a qualified engineer.

For gas appliances they must be on the Gas Safe Register. For oil appliances the must be registered on the Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC). For solid fuel appliances they must belong to the Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme (HETAS). The links to their websites are as below:

Gas Safe Register

Oil Firing Technical Association

Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme

Make sure that all chimneys and flues are swept regularly by a qualified sweep who is a member of one of the following:

National Association of Chimney Sweeps

Guild of Master Sweeps

Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps