Kitchen fires in Bedfordshire 

On Friday (6/10) at 12.18pm crews from Dunstable and Luton were called to a property in Milton Way, Houghton Regis. Firefighters had to force entry to the property and used a thermal imaging camera and a hose reel to extinguish the fire.  The fire started after some cooking had been left unattended and caught fire.

Just after this at 1.19pm on Friday (6/10) crews from Kempston and Toddington attended a care home in High Street, Ridgmont after reports of a small kitchen fire, although the fire was out on arrival Firefighters checked the area and gave fire safety advice to staff.

On Sunday (8/10) crews from Kempston and Bedford were called to a fire at property in Abbott Crescent, Kempston at 8.46am. The fire which had been caused by cooking had been put out. Firefighters checked the property and one casualty was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

Pete Buckingham, Community Safety Team Manager said: “It is important that you don’t become complacent while cooking at home. These fires we have had over the past few weeks were all avoidable.

“If you need to leave your kitchen for any reason you should turn your cooker off.  Don’t be distracted by someone coming to the door and leave cooking on the hob and don’t become so engrossed in your tablet or mobile phone that you forget about what you’re doing in the kitchen. Always take pans off the heat or turn them down to prevent them overheating and catching fire when you have finished cooking”.

Please remember these simple tips:

·         Don’t leave the kitchen while cooking, if you must take pans off the heat or turn them off to prevent them overheating and catching fire;

·         Don’t be distracted by your mobile phone while cooking;

·         Always double check your cooker is off when finished cooking, leaving pans on a hot stove, even when it’s switched off, can cause residual oil, fat or grease to catch fire;

·         Keep tea towels, cloths, cookery books and other flammable material away from the cooker and hob;

·         Hot oil can catch fire if left for too long;

·         If oil starts to smoke - it's too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool;

·         Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer which keeps oil from self-igniting;

·         If your pan of hot oil catches fire leave it where it is, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, then get out and ring 999;

·         NEVER THROW WATER ON BURNING OIL. It will turn into a fireball, spreading the fire and causing you serious injury.